It’s December 1st... have you started your Christmas shopping yet? If you’re out of ideas, here a few things that might interest you. Full disclosure -- these are from people I know or products I like. I’m not even going to pretend to be impartial. On the plus side, there isn’t a big box store in the list, and you’ll be supporting indie artists, crafters and the like.
Merry Zombie Christmas
2. Have you ever wondered what you’d look like if you were undead? The Day After Art is here to help! If you check my recap of Fan Expo 2010, you’ll see a Cthulhu portrait of me done by the same artist.
5. Get yourself (or your friend) a sexy photoshoot, courtesy of Feline643 Photography!
7. The Phoenix Saga - if you’re a Star Trek fan and enjoy things that are inspired by the show, you’ll enjoy these two plays by D.J. Sylvis, resident playwright for Monkeyman Productions.
8. Can’t decide on what book to give your loved nerd one? Why not give them the gift a choice with a gift certificate for Re: Reading. Not only do you support local small businesses, you’re embracing recycling! Nestled in the Danforth, Re: Reading also has an awesome display of Star Trek memorabilia.
9. Futurecon! The only convention that spans two years, Futurecon is an annual charity event that benefits Epilepsy Toronto. You can read about my experiences last year here. If you’re attending, be sure to register before December 5th or you’ll miss out on the NYE dinner!
10. Uncharted Zones - Monkeyman Productions. Toronto’s geekiest theatre company will be performing a series of plays inspired by the Twilight Zone from December 8 to December 17th. OK, so it’s an early Christmas present, but it’ll be worth it!
11. Girls Drawing Girls Volume 4 - a compilation of lovely ladies lovingly drawn by lovely ladies.
12. Get your graphic novel personalized in the “Spirit of Giving” fundraiser for Comic Book Legal Defense. Want Gaiman to personalize your copy of Absolute Sandman? Better order before December 5th! Many of these are time sensitive, so hurry if you want to participate. You’ll get a super cool present and support a worthwhile cause at the same time.
13. Hey, it’s cold up here. Be sure to snuggle up in an adorable Snow Leopard Hat by Wild Things Creations. Other critters are available, too!
14. NATALIE DEE! If you love your nerd, you will buy him or her this Dr. Unicorn shirt. Doctor’s orders.
15. You can cosplay as the Staypuft Marshmallow with this handy dandy “sailor” tee from Ghostbusters News!
16. Celebrate Winter-een-mas with this shirt, courtesy of CTRL-ALT-DEL. Video games for life!
17. Who doesn’t love McPedro? Is he a hallucination? Is he real? He’s real to me. Start talking to him the next time you go drinking... he just might talk back. A must have for any fan of Girls with Slingshots.
18. Voldenae’s Plushies makes some pretty adorable stuff -- check out her Facebook photo album for an idea of what’s for sale. I’m pretty fond of the Luma!
19. For the Horde! Red Moon Creations has created hand etched glasses featuring the Horde symbol. If you’re a fan of WoW, why aren’t you drinking from one of these?
20. CRITmas Soaps from Geeky Clean -- now even the most hard core D&D player can be enticed to use soap. Each soap features a D20 buried in the middle.
21. Still unsure? Why not pick up a gift certificate for the Silver Snail? There’s something for every variety of nerd -- whether you’re into Star Trek, Star Wars or Ugly Dolls.
Charities and Fundraisers
22. Play fun video games and help raise money for worthwhile causes with the Humble Bundle -- pay what you want/can.
23. If you’re a Browncoat, consider making a donation to Equality Now, the charity that benefits from the “Can’t Stop the Serenity” annual screenings.
24. The Hero Initiative provides emergency aid to comic creators -- consider donating on behalf of your comic fan this Christmas.
25. Project Lunch Money - Chip in some of your lunch money to help Nerds with Guitars cut their first album! Support independent artists and listen to some cool tunes -- it’s a win-win.